Category Archives: Announcements
MSBCA Calgary is proud to be a community partner of the Calgary International Film Festival
We have 24 free tickets for:
- RAMEN SHOP directed by Eric Khoo (Singapore)
- WE, THE DEAD (AQÉRAT) directed by Edmund Yeo (Malaysia)
Please contact Emily at email@example.com to reserve free tickets ASAP
You can also receive $2-off for any other CIFF film, discount code “MSBCA2018”
Masato works with his father Kazuo and uncle Akio in their family ramen shop. Kazuo isn’t very warm to Masato, a behaviour that Akio attributes to the death of Masato’s mother. After Kazuo passes away suddenly, Masato goes through his father’s belongings and discovers his mother’s journal. That journal makes him go to Singapore to discover his roots and uncover the secrets of the Singaporean dish Bak kut teh (Pork rib soup) that made his father fall for his mother. In the tradition of TAMPOPO and EAT DRINK MAN WOMAN, RAMEN SHOP is a mouth-watering film that scrumptiously shows that in different cultures, food is more than just sustenance.
Wednesday, September 26 – 5:20pm @ Eau Claire 4
Saturday, September 29 – 7:00pm @ Eau Claire 6
WE, THE DEAD
Hui Ling (Daphne Low) is working odd jobs to save enough money to leave Malaysia and get a fresh start. In order to earn some quick money, she accepts a job that involves trafficking Rohingya refugees who land up on Malaysian shores. However, she is not prepared for the treacherous nature of the task and finds herself drawn into a darker world. Edmund Yeo’s timely film AQERAT depicts a lesser known story about the dangers that some of the Rohingya faced when they migrated to Malaysia. The film, whose title means “afterlife” in Rohingya, deservedly won the Best Director and Tokyo Gemstone Awards (for actress Daphne Low) at the Tokyo International Film Festival.
Thursday, September 27 – 7:40pm @ Eau Claire 1
Saturday, September 29 – 2:40pm @ Eau Claire 2
Saturday, October 28 at 3:30pm-4:30pm
Janice Chua, pharmacist, will be offering free flu shots at the MSBCA Clubhouse. Please register at firstname.lastname@example.org or 587-349-3727 to ensure we will have sufficient supply of vaccines.
Bring ID and health card.
In accordance with the Malaysian Singaporean Bruneian Community Association bylaws (MSBCA), notice is hereby given that the Annual General Meeting for MSBCA (the ‘Association’) is called for and will start at 1:00pm (local time) on Saturday October 7th, 2017 at the MSBCA Clubhouse (#301, 114 – 3rd Avenue SW, Calgary, Alberta T2P 0E7) for the following purposes:
- To receive the financial statements and Annual Report of the Association for the financial year ending August 31, 2017
- To elect Directors for the Association
- To appoint the Auditor/s of the Association for the ensuing year
- To transact other business as properly brought before the meeting
The MSBCA Board is seeking the election of ONE Secretary and THREE general committee members to serve TWO consecutive years on the Board of Directors (2017-2018 & 2018-2019).
- Meeting wonderful members and dedicated volunteers
- Developing communication and leadership skills
- Turning visions into projects
- Getting your name out there
- Attending monthly meetings (2 hr) and other duties
- Sharing and exploring ideas
- Demonstrating respect, professionalism and accountability
- Officially representing MSBCA and the Board within the community and public
Nomination process and rules:
- As decided by the membership at AGM 2016, nominations for elections in 2017 and on wards shall be conducted online and within a reasonable time frame to facilitate an orderly planning process.
- Nominations shall be open from Friday, September 1, 2017 until Saturday, September 30, 2017.
- All nominations must be submitted to the official MSBCA website.
- Each candidate must be a member of good standing and have the support of TWO members of good standing.
- Each candidate will be required to answer a few questions such as brief personal bio, interests and goals relating to MSBCA.
- Membership Director and/or Secretary will verify membership status of each candidate and supporting members to ensure eligibility. The Board does not officially endorse any candidate.
- One individual membership = 1 voting ballot. One family membership = 2 voting ballots. Voting must be done in person at the AGM. No proxy votes.
More details to follow once website is ready to accept nominations.
Mustard Seed Volunteers Needed
Saturday, June 24, 2012
This coming Saturday June 24, 2017, MSBCA will be cooking and serving at the Mustard Seed. This is a regular volunteer event we’ve been participating in for the past few years, cooking & serving dinner to many people who need a warm meal and shelter.
We have about 6 volunteers confirmed so far. We need as many as 10-12 people to cook & serve food at the Mustard Seed on Saturday afternoon and evening, and a few more people to prep food at our clubhouse on Friday evening. If you’re interested, please contact Adeline 403-383-1689 or email email@example.com.
Eye Health Talk with Dr. Lauren Sim
SATURDAY, MAY 27 AT 6:00-7:30PM
Potluck – Please bring a dish to share
RSVP to Jemaine at firstname.lastname@example.org or Lita at 403-971-2521 / email@example.com
- What is an eye exam?
- Why is it important?
- Who & what is covered by Alberta Health?
- How diabetes, high blood pressure, systemic diseases such as arthritis, and certain medications can impact the eyes.
Dr. Lauren Sim earned her Doctorate of Optometry degree at the University of Waterloo, having achieved the Dean’s Honour List every semester. Dr. Sim has experience in diagnosis, management and treatment of severe and rare ocular diseases as well as post-operative care for patients with the latest refractive laser correction (LASIK and PRK), cataract extractions, glaucoma surgeries, and corneal transplants.
The Asian Heritage Foundation is seeking stories of Asian-Canadians to display to the public particularly during May (Asian Heritage Month).
“In order to include stories from MSBCA community for the exhibit at Jack Singer Hall on May 11, we need to receive the submissions by April 10to go through the process of screening, editing and printing. If the stories submitted after April 10, we will try our best to include them for the exhibit at Genesis Centre on May 27.
Don’t worry about the formality of the form/story writing. We do have a writer who can turn the information from the submissions into beautiful and inspiring stories.”
Please fill free to fill out the 4 pages and submit a 500-word or less story to Vivian Morgan at firstname.lastname@example.org. Writers can represent themselves or a group (like MSBCA).
Dear members of MSBCA,
On behalf of the Board, I am excited to announce the release of our new Funding Guide for Members 2017. We feel that this guide will help all members understand the benefits of membership, understand the different types of funding we receive, and to take advantage of this funding wherever possible. It is our way of showing transparency and appreciation to our community.
It is more than that too. This is your time to be creative and imaginative and to take the helm. If there is something you want to do to celebrate Malaysian, Singaporean or Bruneian culture, this is your chance to have the support from your community. This is your chance to create something that will add value to your lives.
Your experience of Malaysian, Singaporean or Bruneian culture will help shape our community and the rest of Calgary in the days to come.
Saturday, Jan 21, 2017
Crafts at 4pm to 6pm
Potluck Dinner (bring a main dish) 6:30pm to 8:30pm
MSBCA clubhouse #301, 114 – 3 Avenue SW
FREE for members
$5 for non- members
Families with children are welcome
We will be making Red Envelope Baskets
Kindly RSVP to Helen Ong, email: email@example.com