Subscribe to MSBCA
Receive updates on the monthly newsletter and fun events!
Category Archives: Announcements
In accordance with the Malaysian Singaporean Bruneian Community Association bylaws (MSBCA), notice is hereby given that the Annual General Meeting for MSBCA (the ‘Association’) is called for and will start at 1:00pm (local time) on Saturday October 7th, 2017 at the MSBCA Clubhouse (#301, 114 – 3rd Avenue SW, Calgary, Alberta T2P 0E7) for the following purposes:
- To receive the financial statements and Annual Report of the Association for the financial year ending August 31, 2017
- To elect Directors for the Association
- To appoint the Auditor/s of the Association for the ensuing year
- To transact other business as properly brought before the meeting
The MSBCA Board is seeking the election of ONE Secretary and THREE general committee members to serve TWO consecutive years on the Board of Directors (2017-2018 & 2018-2019).
- Meeting wonderful members and dedicated volunteers
- Developing communication and leadership skills
- Turning visions into projects
- Getting your name out there
- Attending monthly meetings (2 hr) and other duties
- Sharing and exploring ideas
- Demonstrating respect, professionalism and accountability
- Officially representing MSBCA and the Board within the community and public
Nomination process and rules:
- As decided by the membership at AGM 2016, nominations for elections in 2017 and on wards shall be conducted online and within a reasonable time frame to facilitate an orderly planning process.
- Nominations shall be open from Friday, September 1, 2017 until Saturday, September 30, 2017.
- All nominations must be submitted to the official MSBCA website.
- Each candidate must be a member of good standing and have the support of TWO members of good standing.
- Each candidate will be required to answer a few questions such as brief personal bio, interests and goals relating to MSBCA.
- Membership Director and/or Secretary will verify membership status of each candidate and supporting members to ensure eligibility. The Board does not officially endorse any candidate.
- One individual membership = 1 voting ballot. One family membership = 2 voting ballots. Voting must be done in person at the AGM. No proxy votes.
More details to follow once website is ready to accept nominations.
Mustard Seed Volunteers Needed
Saturday, June 24, 2012
This coming Saturday June 24, 2017, MSBCA will be cooking and serving at the Mustard Seed. This is a regular volunteer event we’ve been participating in for the past few years, cooking & serving dinner to many people who need a warm meal and shelter.
We have about 6 volunteers confirmed so far. We need as many as 10-12 people to cook & serve food at the Mustard Seed on Saturday afternoon and evening, and a few more people to prep food at our clubhouse on Friday evening. If you’re interested, please contact Adeline 403-383-1689 or email email@example.com.
Eye Health Talk with Dr. Lauren Sim
SATURDAY, MAY 27 AT 6:00-7:30PM
Potluck – Please bring a dish to share
RSVP to Jemaine at firstname.lastname@example.org or Lita at 403-971-2521 / email@example.com
- What is an eye exam?
- Why is it important?
- Who & what is covered by Alberta Health?
- How diabetes, high blood pressure, systemic diseases such as arthritis, and certain medications can impact the eyes.
Dr. Lauren Sim earned her Doctorate of Optometry degree at the University of Waterloo, having achieved the Dean’s Honour List every semester. Dr. Sim has experience in diagnosis, management and treatment of severe and rare ocular diseases as well as post-operative care for patients with the latest refractive laser correction (LASIK and PRK), cataract extractions, glaucoma surgeries, and corneal transplants.
The Asian Heritage Foundation is seeking stories of Asian-Canadians to display to the public particularly during May (Asian Heritage Month).
“In order to include stories from MSBCA community for the exhibit at Jack Singer Hall on May 11, we need to receive the submissions by April 10to go through the process of screening, editing and printing. If the stories submitted after April 10, we will try our best to include them for the exhibit at Genesis Centre on May 27.
Don’t worry about the formality of the form/story writing. We do have a writer who can turn the information from the submissions into beautiful and inspiring stories.”
Please fill free to fill out the 4 pages and submit a 500-word or less story to Vivian Morgan at firstname.lastname@example.org. Writers can represent themselves or a group (like MSBCA).
Dear members of MSBCA,
On behalf of the Board, I am excited to announce the release of our new Funding Guide for Members 2017. We feel that this guide will help all members understand the benefits of membership, understand the different types of funding we receive, and to take advantage of this funding wherever possible. It is our way of showing transparency and appreciation to our community.
It is more than that too. This is your time to be creative and imaginative and to take the helm. If there is something you want to do to celebrate Malaysian, Singaporean or Bruneian culture, this is your chance to have the support from your community. This is your chance to create something that will add value to your lives.
Your experience of Malaysian, Singaporean or Bruneian culture will help shape our community and the rest of Calgary in the days to come.
Saturday, Jan 21, 2017
Crafts at 4pm to 6pm
Potluck Dinner (bring a main dish) 6:30pm to 8:30pm
MSBCA clubhouse #301, 114 – 3 Avenue SW
FREE for members
$5 for non- members
Families with children are welcome
We will be making Red Envelope Baskets
Kindly RSVP to Helen Ong, email: email@example.com
Friday, February 3, 2017
Regency Palace Seafood Restaurant (328 Centre Street SE)
Doors Open at 6:00pm. Program Starts at 6:30pm
TICKETS ARE ON SALE STARTING JANUARY 3, 2017!
Toddlers (0-4 years old): Free for Members / Non-Members
Children (5-12 years old): $10 Members / $18 Non-Members
Teenagers (13-19 years old): $30 Members / $40 Non-Members
Adults: $40 Members / $50 Non-Members
Seniors (65+): $30* Members / $50 Non-Members
*Member seniors will pay member adult price and receive a $10 refund at the event.
- Kathy Teoh (403) 818-1823 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Clara Chiew email@example.com
- Teryn Chan firstname.lastname@example.org
- OR email email@example.com
- Hampers – TBA
- Wine – TBA
- Oranges – TBA
- Ang Pows – MSBCA Sunday lunch proceeds from Char Kway Teow
- Yee Sang Appetizer (Smoked Salmon w/Mixed Ingredients Platter)
- Assorted Cold Plate Combination
- Sea Moss & Pork with Lotus Root
- Abalone Mushroom with Vegetable
- Chicken & Four Treasures Soup
- Deep Fried Crab Claws
- Deep Fried Fish Fillet w/Sweet & Sour Sauce
- Fried Yee Mein w/Vegetables
- Special Cookies
- Fresh Sliced Fruit Platter
- Lion Dance
- Yee Sang Prosperity Toss
- Cultural Dances and Singing Performances
- Scholastic Awards
- Ang Pow Giving to Juniors and Single Adults
- Hampers Draw
- 50/50 Draw
- Dance Floor Opens at 9pm
For any questions please contact event coordinator:
Jesse Cheah at 403-880-8885
If you have a passion to sing and want to learn more skills and techniques, we invite you to join MSBCA Singing Program 2017.
For more details, contact Miss Rosalind Lee @ 403-282-6026 Registration doesn’t mean you are guarantee a spot in the Program right away. It’s on a 1st come 1st serve basis.