2020 Annual General Meeting (AGM) Minutes
Sunday, October 25, 2020
1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
ATTENDEES: 14 members
CALL TO ORDER: 1:00 PM – GIVALATHA T. BALASINGAM
APPROVAL OF 2019 AGM MINUTES – AGNES HOBMAIER (GOH)
- Motioned by Damien Lee
- Seconded by Charanjeet Kaur
- Motion passed
REPORT FROM THE PRESIDENT – GIVALATHA T. BALASINGAM
- Since the onset of Covid-19 we have not had any activities at the clubhouse, so the Board has decided to membership fee waived until December 2021
- Code of conduct, coordinators’ roles and bylaws have been uploaded onto the website.
- Past presidents, past board members and current board members have helped to update the bylaws. Note that the bylaws are not cast in stone. It can be amended.
- Small activities will be introduced gradually.
- Food take-out to raise funds for MSBCA.
- Adrine will coordinate the selling of cookies for festive season.
- Charan has come up with fund raising ideas.
- Thanks to James for stepping in as a facility coordinator.
- Thanks to Emily for fulling the role of a membership coordinator.
REPORT FROM THE TREASURER – BLAIR PHILLIPS
- Financial fiscal year is August to August. This is a full 12 month of financial data.
- We have 6 months of normal activity and the other 6 months were abnormal due to Covid-19.
- The Association remains in a healthy financial position and is situated to ride out these unusual times with a comfortable General Savings balance and enough Casino funds to last until the next Casino night. Although current circumstances required the Association to cancel our Annual Cultural Night, the Chinese New Year dinner (Feb 10th) was a great success. The event spending came under the approved AGLC budget of $9,900 while fundraising initiatives such as raffle sale, bake sale, and member donations generated $2,605 back into our General Account. On top of this, every Adult ticket also donated $5.00 to support the Calgary Interfaith Food Bank on behalf of MSBCA. This resulted in a total donation of $1,160 at a time when the food bank is vitally important to the lives of many living within our city.
- Member’s Equity declined by $55,475 (2020: $319,518 vs. 2019: $374,993) due to normal operating facility costs and cultural events held before the March lockdown. The drawdown in the Casino Account was anticipated due to the lack or Casino Event Revenue during this Financial year (2020: $1,000 vs. 2019: $72,252) due to the 18-month Casino event cycle. Depending on upcoming plans by the next Board, there should be enough funds in the Casino account to last until our next Casino night (Q1/2 2021) otherwise the next Board can either cash a Casino GIC or loan funds from our General Account. Cash in our General Operating fund grew $7,202 (2020: $84,454 vs. 2019: $77,252) reflecting our prioritization on protecting these funds and the generosity of our members.
- Our Clubhouse remains MSBCA’s greatest capital asset although it continues to show its age. Changes to the utility providers made last winter reduced our Utilities expense by 33% (2020: $5,523 vs. 2019: $8,211) although some of these saving a probably attributable to the reduced clubhouse activity.
- Blair thanked everyone for being inclusive and supportive of him in his 2 years of service.
REPORT FROM VICE PRESIDENT SINGAPORE – CHARANJEET KAUR
- She misses connection with members.
- Look forward to future gathering soon.
- Thanked Blair and Yenson for their time and effort.
- She will assist with the food take-out.
REPORT FROM VICE PRESIDENT MALAYSIA – ADRINE CHONG
- CNY dancers worked hard and gave their best.
- CNY venue was good.
- A portion of the CNY sales proceed went to the food bank.
REPORT FROM VICE PRESIDENT BRUNEI – JOYCE YIT
The following is a list of activities that took place:
- Alberta Thai Canadian Association – November 09, 2019
- Lifetime tax free income presentation – November 30, 2019
- MSBCA Christmas party – December 07, 2019
- MSBCA New Year countdown and slumber party – December 31, 2019
- The Women Centre Campaign – December 2019
- Fun mahjong meetup – January 18, 2020
- CNY Cultural Center performance – January 25, 2020
- CNY 2020 – February 08, 2020
- Daily activities, Mari Memasak, Masala cooking and Food Moments classes continued before COVID-19 hits.
REPORT FROM MEMBERSHIP COORDINATOR – EMILY TEOH
- Hope that we will find new innovative ways to get together.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF OUTGOING BOARD – GIVALATHA T. BALASINGAM
- Treasurer (2018-2020): Blair Philips
- Committee Member (2018-2020): Yenson Ong
OTHER ACKNOWLEDGEMENT – BY MEMBERS
- Expressed appreciation to Emily, James, and the board members for their time and effort.
APPOINTMENT OF INCOMING BOARD OF DIRECTORS – NONE
MEETING ADJOURNED – 3:00 PM – AGNES HOBMAIER (GOH)
MINUTES PREPARED BY THE SECRETARY – AGNES HOBMAIER (GOH)