MSBCA is a non-profit organization (NPO) as meets the criteria as a charitable, ethno-cultural group under the Alberta Gaming and Licensing Commission (AGLC). We consisted of a broad-based group of volunteers from around Calgary who choose a 100% democratically elected Board of Directors.
We strive towards the goals of transparency, openness and accountability towards our members in order to deliver successful ethno-cultural programs that promote and enhance Malaysian, Singaporean and Bruneian cultures and heritage. These programs are for the enjoyment of members and the public.
Established in 1989, MSBCA offers many popular events and activities throughout the year. We are pleased to offer many free classes such as dance, choir and entertainment activities featuring Malaysian, Singaporean and Bruneian cultural influences and from around the Southeast Asian region. Made possible through AGLC-approved activities, free charitable programming such as these and other contributions towards the community-at-large include:
- Guest instructors for lingual, traditional arts and crafts, cooking, music, history and other ethno-cultural lessons
- Donations to other charitable groups and other ethno-cultural groups such as In from the Cold, Mustard See, Canadian Red Cross, YWCA
- Scholarship funds
As a NPO, we also rely on other forms of revenue for operating costs such as facility usage and administrative costs. The majority of these revenues include:
- Annual membership fees
- Net revenues from cost-recovery fundraising events such as
- Monthly Sunday lunches featuring Malaysian, Singaporean and Bruneian cuisine
- Annual Cultural Night held in summer
- Donations and gifts in kind
Last updated 15 April 2015